Wednesday, October 17, 2012

More Ups and Downs

Greetings to all of Possum's friends (and mine too)!

Shimona here, reporting on Possum's progress - if it can be described as such. 

Yesterday evening, as I reported in my last post, Possum still wouldn't eat anything of his own volition. On the other hand, I refilled his water bowl and this morning, I measured how much he had drunk since last night. He had imbibed about 75-100 ml.

Another hopeful sign, or so it seemed to his worried Mum, was that when I was watching the TV last night, he got up on the couch beside me, rolled over on his back with his legs in the air and asked for a tummy-rub. He hasn't done that for days. I was so happy, it seemed he was slowly emerging from his apathy. 

I left food out for him overnight, but was terribly disappointed this morning to see he had eaten none of it. I replaced it with fresh food before going out to work, but he seemed to have sunk back into apathy this morning so I wasn't too surprised (though I was terribly disappointed) to find, on returning home this evening, that, once again, he hadn't touched his food. I was glad, however, to find him on his feet, rather than hiding under the bed or sleeping on the armchair, which has been the case for quite a few days now. 

I had to force-feed him again this evening, and he resisted all the way. On the one hand, this is a sign that he's still got plenty of fight left in him. On the other hand, I don't understand, if the anti-inflammatory drug is working and his jaw and joints hurt less, why he is still not eating. Worse, why did he not drink all day, especially in this unseasonably hot weather (32 degrees Celsius)?

I'm afraid that every good sign is countered by a bad sign. Furthermore, whenever something good happens (like him asking for a tummy-rub), it's not long before I'm already thinking of how it could actually be a bad sign. Like - he's really saying: "Mummy, I want you to know I still love you, but it's time to let me go." Yet Einat convinced me that this is not a cat that wants to starve himself to death.

Maybe I need to find a Cat Whisperer.

5 comments:

CATachresis said...

I wonder if he could be grieving? Though it is quite a while now since Pixie left!! I hope you get answers soon! x

Fuzzy Tales said...

He's not constipated, right? Can't imagine, the vet would have caught it. But cats will stop eating when constipated.

Purrs and hugs.

Mariodacat said...

I hope he comes around soon.

Jenna and Sissy said...

We are purring very hard for Possum. It is so hard to know what to do for any furbaby because he can't tell you what is wrong.

GreatGranny said...

Fuzzy Tails made a good point.
I so hope things get better for your little sweetheart.